Subject: iMac serial port/internal modem
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jan Brands <j.brands@crypto.philips.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/03/1999 08:22:36
Hi all,

I am new on the list. I installed NetBSD 1.4 on my iMac a couple of weeks
ago. I boot NetBSD over my network from a FreeBSD server, using
ofwboot.elf. Everything works fine out of the box (except for the keyboard
bug ;-) : NFS, X11. (Although I had to remove some RAM at first to be able
to boot the GENERIC kernel and to build a customized kernel). Great work!

There is one important thing (to me, at least) I haven't figured out,
though: which device is the internal modem? I would love to be able to set
up a connection with my ISP using ppp, but so far I couldn't even figure
out which device to use...

>Don't forget that tty00 is the modem, and tty01 is the printer.
Is this the same for the iMac? When I use "tip" with this device it says
"connection closed" (or something similar) after about 10 seconds (same
with tty01).
What I understood from the man-pages, there should also be devices called
ttya and ttyb, but they are not there in /dev, nor have I got a clue how to
make them...

Cheers,

     Jan