Subject: Re: PB G3 without Floppy?
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/20/1999 18:06:09
At 4:38 PM -0700 9/20/99, Bob Nestor wrote:
>Bill Studenmund  (wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov) wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>>
>>> It should also be possible to boot from the CD-ROM provided OFWBOOT.XCO and
>>> the right netbsd files are on it.  I had a 50% success rate trying that on
>>> desktop x500 PCI PowerMacs.
>>
>>Actually the new OF should be able to load an elf kernel right off of the
>>CD ROM too.
>
>I've been putting the ofwboot.elf file on the macppc CDs I've been
>creating.  I'd like to also include the ofwboot.xco file to make sure I
>cover all the bases.  Can someone tell me where I can find it?
>
>This request has become real important to me just this evening since I
>have an order from Henry for a copy of the CD, and he's asked for the
>ofwboot.xco file.  ;-)

I got one from Bill S. ;-)  I also have the copy I put on a CDR somewhere.
Can't find either at the moment.

I think the canonical way to find the latest one is to take the latest boot
floppy image, mount it as a vnode under *BSD, and copy if out.  Or is that
just where one gets the netbsd/w/miniroot kernel that goes with
ofwboot.xcoff?  This is one case where RTFM worked for me.  I can manage
without it since I can boot from floppy, so don't let it hold up the order.

OK, I just found where I disassembled a boot floppy, but it's on a work
machine and I haven't finished researching where all the bureaucratic lines
are for what I want these CD-ROM's for.  I'd better not supply it myself
then, though I did put it in my standard public archive on my JPL-supported
netbsd machine for anyone else who can make use of it.

Bill:  is the file called boot on the bootfloppy image actually ofwboot.xcoff?