Subject: Re: floppy support - how soon?
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/20/1999 13:44:54
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Todd Whitesel wrote:

> Cool... FWIW during my Apple II fossil days I ran across bits and pieces
> of info about the IWM and SWIM floppy controllers, so if you get stuck on
> obscure bugs send me an email and hopefully I'll be able to dig something
> up that will help.

AFAICT, we have NO SWIM documents, which is why mac68k only kinda supports
800K floppies. If the info's really SWIM, it'd help I think. :-)

> > > (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html), but it's mostly that
> > > NetBSD/macppc requires Open Firmware, and there are no Open Firmware
> > > NuBus Macs. Making port-macppc support NuBus would be a lot of work,
> > > and some people have expressed interest in seeing it happen, but no
> > > one has expressed interest in doing it yet. :)
>
> According to what I've heard it also requires conversion of the mac68k
> nubus support to use the new bus space and dma macros. This is probably
> not for the faint of heart.

dma? On mac68k machines? :-) Surely you're joking, Mr. Whitesel! (Who can
guess what that's a take-off of?)

bus spacing wouldn't be hard, and would be a good thing to do. I think
Scott was working on it at one point (certainly I think we'd need it for
the wscons support).

Take care,

Bill