Subject: Re: dhclient impossible w/NFS?
To: John Annaker <jdela22@hotmail.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/17/1999 21:26:06
On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, John Annaker wrote:

> >Given that you're netbooting, what's the problem? You've used bootp to get
> >an address, isn't it ok? Also, most dhcp servers can act as bootp servers
> >too, so you probably got your IP address from the same server with bootp
> >and with dhcp. :-)
>
> I believe I have the NFS_BOOT_DHCP option enabled, the problem is that when
> I start dhclient, it talks to my bootp server (192.168.1.2) instead of my
> cable modem DHCP server. so, i put "reject 192.168.1.2" in my dhclient.conf
> file, and thats where I am now...nfs disconnects when the cable modem server
> assigns me an IP address. (but as told, the responses from 192.168.1.2 are
> rejected)

The problem is probably that the dhcp client is ifconfig'ing the interface
down, doing a dhcp request to get a valid IP number, then ifconfig'ing the
inferface back up, then re-setting up the routes.  Even if the IP number
were the same, that would still break any TCP or UDP connection, including
NFS.

If I'm understanding right, the issue is that your system is picking up
the wrong address from the wrong server.  There are two or three possible
workarounds.  First possibility: set the other server to serve whatever
the cable modem would give it.  If your ISP doesn't change numbers often,
that will work.  Second choice would be to set up the bootp server to not
provide an address for that machine.  This is probably possible through
config files, never done it, thoguh.  The third, and probably easiest
option is to have one ethernet interface for the cable modem and a
separate one for the local network.

David