Subject: Re: Booting MacPPC / Boot Floppy
To: None <manji@labridge.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/17/1999 12:28:14
On Fri, Sep 17, 1999 at 09:18:37AM -0700, manji@labridge.com wrote:
>   thanks for your response to my post. Can  you point me to
>   more details on how to get into open firmware ?
>
>   on my powerbook, restarting while holding down the
>   command+ option + 0  + F
>   has no effect- the machine just boots off the installed hard disk.
>
>    I'm assuming that what you call the command key is labelled on my
>    keyboard with an apple/cloverleaf - but
>
>    I've also tried  substituting Ctrl+option+0+F
>    and the other two permutations just in case 0  is really a zero
>
>    Is this capability limited to certain models of Mac
>    (I use a PowerBook G3 , 233 Mhz) - don't know the rom revision.

The first key combination is right. Command means the apple/clover key
and O as in Open.

It's possible that your keyboard is incapable of sending that many
signals at once (some older desktop ones are - the one that shipped
with the Apple IIgs, for instance - so it's possible that the
mini-keyboards that come in powerbooks are the same way). Try plugging
in a regular ADB keyboard and using it.

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net