Subject: Re: floppy support - how soon?
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/16/1999 17:25:57
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> Doesn't port-mac68k have floppy support? Is it different here
> because... the floppy drive goes through the PCI chain? (Along those
> lines, doesn't port-mac68k have nubus support? Why doesn't port-macppc
> then? Because of the differences between 68k motorolas and PPCs instead
> of between PCI and nubus busses?)

port-mac68k has floppy support for the IWM (800k) controller.  It doesn't,
last I knew, support the original SWIM, much less the SWIM III used in
PowerMacs.  Likewise, MkLinux supports the SWIM III, but not the SWIM II
(yet) or the SWIM.  The difference between the SWIM III and SWIM II is
that the SWIM II has no DMA and has a little difference in how you step
between tracks.  The difference between the SWIM I and SWIM II, though, I
have no idea, nor do I know anything at all about the IWM.

For whatever it's worth, NuBus PowerMacs are almost completely different
from NuBus 68k machines, with the exception of the Powermac/Performa
52/53xx and 62/63xx series.

> Anyway, David, if you can email me your source (preferably privately,
> not to the list), I'd appreciate a chance to muck around with it.

I'd suggest either grabbing it by cvs or using the cvsweb interface on
mklinux.org.  Check out

http://www.mklinux.org/development/

for info on both methods.  I could tar up just the floppy directory, but
you'd lose a sense of how it integrates into the other pieces of code
(admittedly, not much, but...).

David