Subject: Re: Trying to install 1.4.1 on a 8500/180
To: Fabrizio Catalano <cata003@pn.itnet.it>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/16/1999 09:24:49
At 3:01 PM -0700 9/13/99, Fabrizio Catalano wrote:
>when I try to boot my 8500 from the boot floppy holding down  "option
>- command - o - f " I get only the startup sound and a black screen.
>I've not another machine to use as terminal so can you help me to
>found the BootVars application? I've read about BootVars in the FAQ,
>but  no chance in download.

If this isn't in the FAQ it should be.

On the 8500, and others using Open Firmware 1.0.5, you need the BootVars
program if you are going to use the local keyboard and display.  The
default is to use one of the serial ports at 38400 Baud.  On your machine
you need to set the input to kbd and the output to /chaos/control and you
have a chance for it to work.

There could still be other issues though.  Try looking through the mailing
list archives.