Subject: Re: NetBSD on the new PowerBook G3
To: Sergio Brandano <sb@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/15/1999 12:42:21
Sergio Brandano wrote:

>Other questions are (I never used BSD):
>- why is it so ... small?

Good tight code.  ;)  Although, I think that probably the NetBSD
distribution puts more things in the package system and less in
the core distribution to give you more choices as to what you want
on your system.

>- does it make any use of the GNU stuff (binutils, gcc etc.) or it has
>  his own tools and compilers?

NetBSD uses gcc and the GNU binutils.

>- is there a package maintainer like dselect on Debian Linux?

NetBSD has a package system which can either install binary pkgs or
grab patch and build things from source.  Check out:
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html
and
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/README.html

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==