Subject: Re: Trying to talk to tty01 with cu...
To: H. Eckert <ripley@office.in-berlin.de>
From: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/02/1999 09:36:55
On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, H. Eckert wrote:

> > I do have read/write permission (I'm running it as root, I assume I sho=
uld
> > be able to read/write anything I want).
>=20
> Unless some process opened it exclusively.
> It=B4s not really useful if two processes open a
> device and try to read the same data and both
> receive garbage.

I don't believe anything has it open.  At least, an fstat /dev/tty01
didn't turn anything up.

> > Does this inspire any more ideas?
>=20
> Didn=B4t you say you're running some getty on that line ?

I tried it that way, but also tried it without the getty.

> I haven't tried with NetBSD so far but the other systems
> I know have two device entries for a port, so one can be
> blocked by getty but the other=B4s still available for
> dialout (and some internal code of the driver knows to
> put the getty asleep and wake it up after the call is done).

Yeah, I went looking for cua* devices, but it doesn't look like MAKEDEV
knows how to make them.=20

Thanks,

-Bill

--=20
 William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since 1968
 wrd@awenet.com   < >   http://www.awenet.com/~wrd/   < >   ICQ: 14117523

     Tragedy is when I cut my finger.  Comedy is when you fall=20
     into an open sewer and die.=20
=09=09=09=09       -Mel Brooks