Subject: Re: ifconfig bm0 on iMac
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/31/1999 07:27:17
> Well the problem is more that we assume that OF has configured the card
> (set up the PCI mappings) when infact it hasn't.

OF configures devices at startup time, not when you open them. (If you
browse the device tree in OF before booting, you'll see that all of
the addresses and interrupts have already been assigned.)

(Oh, and bm is a built-in device attached to obio, not a PCI card.)

> To teach NetBSD how to do this in general is a big job. :-(

I'm not convinced. Linux and Darwin don't have this problem (I think?
Can anyone confirm?) I suspect we're doing something wrong somewhere
(failing to set some grackle-specific status bit or something) which
is causing these problems.

-- Dan