Subject: Re: Troubles with a vaguely 7500.
To: None <Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@granularity.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/29/1999 20:15:52
On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 09:52:49AM +0900, Keiki_SUNAGAWA@yokogawa.co.jp wrote:
> You can use RAM > 128MB by building custom kernel from your own
> kernel config file including a line like this:
>
> options   BUFPAGES=1024

When I do this, I get an unbootable kernel:

0 > boot scsi-int/sd@1:0
>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.1
>> (tsubai@mint.iri.co.jp, Tue Jul 20 01:13:42 JST 1999)
Booting scsi-int/sd@1/netbsd
1874628@0x100000+179568@0x2c9ac4
 start=0x100000
_

... and nothing more (and no spinning cursor over the _).

Maybe I'm just doing something dumb? Here's what I did to compile and
install the kernel:

  # cd /usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/conf
  # cp GENERIC MINE
  # vi MINE
    [add 'options 	BUFPAGES=1024'... also tried '[...]=800', as
     per the NetBSD/macppc FAQ]
  # config MINE
    [...]
  # cd ../compile/MINE
  # make depend
    [...]
  # make
    [...]
  # mv /netbsd /netbsd.141-GENERIC ; mv netbsd /
  # reboot

Is there some place specific in the config file that the BUFPAGES
option line must go? Do permissions on kernels matter for NetBSD? (Is
that even possible, considering there's no file system around yet?) Is
there some other option that was used to compile the installed kernel
that I've not included because it isn't in the 1.4.1 distribution's
GENERIC conf file? Do I *have* to have the added RAM installed to get
this kernel to boot? If so, why? I mean, isn't 1024 way too high a
setting for even 192 MBs of RAM then?

The machine does, of course, still boot just fine from the
distribution kernel without BUFPAGES set high... though I can't get
the 'hold space at first NetBSD boot message' routine to work to boot
single user with the alternate kernel (possibly because I'm not even
getting that far?), have to go from the install boot floppy, mount
/dev/sd1a, and mv the kernels around.

So, anyway, unless I'm doing something blatantly stupid that someone
can point out to me, I may just forget it. 128 MBs of RAM really
ought to be enough for at least six months, and I'm sure I can find
some mac user in search of RAM on a college campus.

Okay, now to see if I can get my externel SCSI disks from my mac68k
machine mounted. Then I need to get Perl to compile.

Oh, one other 'has anyone seen this?' kind of question - I can't get X
forwarding to work right through ssh, there's just a huge wait after a
call to some X-based program (on a different computer that does have
an X server, even if it is in the form of Sun's openwin), then this
error spit:

_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 60
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: <hostname>:10.0

I've also seen this error from an OpenBSD/i386 system, but I'm not
sure how (or if, really) I fixed it there.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help. Maybe I'm perverse, but it
makes me very happy to have a text console on my PowerMac.

       ~ g r @ granularity.net