Subject: Re: Troubles with a vaguely 7500.
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@granularity.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/26/1999 11:38:47
At 11:24 AM -0700 8/26/99, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 10:31:06AM -0700, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>> Just for giggles you could copy the ofwboot.xcoff and netbsd files from the
>> boot floppy image onto the CD-ROM you burn and boot directly from it.
>
>Yeah, I could have, but I decided not to complicate things, and I've
>got the 1.4.1 packages installed... but now I get a kernel pacnic
>allocating VM. (See my more recent post.)

I recall problems with more than 128MB RAM, and I think it had something to
do with OF not configuring it properly.  That was a long time ago, but you
might try pulling some of the RAM anyway.

>Only minor differences between 8500 and 7500, though... same
>motherboard... really 7500 is (almost) an 8500 sitting on its side
>minus the video out portion of the AV board... but both came in
>several different revisions, so that things like OF versions and such
>might have changed between one 7500 and another, not to mention
>between a 7500 and an 8500.

Both have AV stuff.  It's on a daughter card though.  The 8500 is older,
but both have OF 1.0.5.

My best guess is the PCI SCSI card in the 7500 (Adaptec 2940UW).  The
CD-ROM and the original disk are still on the motherboard internal SCSI
though.

Without support for MacOS partitions I'm going to wait until the 7500 is
decomissioned in favor of a G4 to do much NetBSD ppc'ing.

Good luck with your system.