Subject: Re: booting problem with DT 266
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@granularity.net>
From: Clemens Heitzinger <cheitzin@rainbow.studorg.tuwien.ac.at>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/26/1999 18:25:08
gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@granularity.net> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 04:28:44PM +0200, Clemens Heitzinger wrote:
> > So, I assume the disk image is somehow faulty or (more probable) I am=

> > doing something wrong.  (I don't know much about OF and booting the
> > Mac, but have some Linux/i386 experience.)
> =

> Both are possible.
> =

> First, you *must* set your ftp client to binary mode if you're going
> to download boot.fs, but you said you got boot.fs.gz, so you're
> probably okay.
> =

> boot.fs should look like this (ignore the change in name, that's just
> for my reference:
> =

> salt:~/netbsd 502$ ll boot.fs-1.4.1 =

> -rw-r--r--   1 gr       users    1474560 Aug 11 07:35 boot.fs-1.4.1
> salt:~/netbsd 503$ dd if=3Dboot.fs-1.4.1 of=3D/dev/null
> 2880+0 records in
> 2880+0 records out
> salt:~/netbsd 504$ =

Yup, same length as mine, same number of records written, I also
checked the MD5 sum.

> Secondly, you never issued quite the right command from OF. You want
> to do this:
> =

> 0 > boot fd:0

I just tried this.  After pressing return, I get the running -/|\- for =

a moment, then CLAIM failed.  (This is open firmware 2.4, _no_
firmware update from Apple applied.)

I checked the floppy with badblocks under Linux, and I have tried
booting with a different floppy.  I don't have an idea what might be
wrong anymore.

Thanks,
Yours,
Clemens
-- =

Clemens Heitzinger
Student der Techn. Mathematik, Technische Universit=E4t Wien, =D6sterreic=
Vienna University of Technology, Austria
http://ag.or.at:8000/~clemens