Subject: Re: -current improvement?
To: Grant Stockly <gussie@stockly.com>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/09/1999 11:20:28
Xmacppc in 1.4 has one big bug that breaks lots of things. If you grab
X from -current, or the 19990620 snapshot, or 1.4.1 (when it comes
out, hopefully soon), it should work better.

> mozilla breaks from the make command about 3/4ths the way through

If you go to the file where the build fails, there's a line something
like:

#if defined(powerpc) && defined(linux)

and if you change it to "(defined(linux) || defined(__NetBSD__))", it
will compile. It won't run though. The mozilla package is based on a
really old snapshot. I don't know if trying to build from -current
mozilla sources would work better.

I've been using arena as a web browser. It's biggest problem is that
it tries to draw the entire web page into a pixmap and then just
scroll that, so if you go to a web page that's too long, it dies with
a memory allocation error. (It crashes randomly at some other times
too... I've never used it not on macppc, so I don't know if it's our
bugs or theirs).

> I've only spent afew hours playing with it so far (and 400MB for compiling.
> :) ), but how much problems are corrected in -current?
>
> How much of a 'beta' is release -current compared to 1.4?

Many problems are fixed in -current. Many new ones are added. :-}.
1.4.1 has some of the fixes and none of the new bugs.

> How would I go about compiling it?  Once I get it installed on my 4GB
> drive, what do I do next?  go into the dir and type "make" then eat lunch?
> :)

I believe there is documentation about this on www.netbsd.org. It's a
bit trickier than that, because often things like "make" or "cc" will
change, and so you have to build them before anything else.

-- Dan