Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5
To: None <UkneeqFNG@aol.com>
From: H. Eckert <ripley@office.in-berlin.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/07/1999 11:30:32
Quoting UkneeqFNG@aol.com (UkneeqFNG@aol.com):
> When is NetBSD 1.5 going to come out or a new floppy image.

Considering the fact that 1.4 was released in March and the
estimated schedule it'll become autumn before 1.5 is ready.

My primary obstacle against NetBSD on my new machine so far
is the fact that NetBSD/ppc doesn't cooperate with the MacOS
partitioning so far and I have only one disc for the time
being.  For the interim I tried out LinuxPPC (hating it more
and more each time I boot into it) which has some obscure
troubles with the machine as well.  Apparently Apple changed
more than the clock speed and the cache size on the June
revision G3's.
So I wonder whether anyone knowing NetBSD/ppc from the
inside has tried one of those new machines and can confirm
they'll work fine ?
I guess I can acquire another disc next week or so and I'd
like to know in advance (if possible) whether 1.4 runs
smoothly or if I have to put the discs on the CD-ROM's
IDE port (as with LinuxPPC).

Would it be possible to prepare a disc on another machine
(i386 architecture most likely) and simply boot it ?
How compatible are FreeBSD's and NetBSD's disklabel/ufs ?

Greetings,
				Ripley