Subject: Setting up PPP
To: PortMacPPC-NetBSD <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Finnell <andyf@vei.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/03/1999 17:14:46
I'm trying to setup PPP on my PowerCenter Pro running the 1999-06-20
snapshot.  However I've run into a couple of problems.

1)	For some reason mgetty is running on my modem port even though I
didn't start it.  If I kill it, it just comes back.  This is a problem
because I need to run pppd on that port, and mgetty and pppd don't seem
to like each other that much.  Where is the mgetty being started at?
I've gotten around this problem by moving my modem to the printer port.

2)	When I start my dialup script, it manages to dial the number, and
gets to where pppd starts taking over the "negotiations."  But it then
just hangs up for some reason.  This is the output from pppd in /var/log/messages:

Serial connection established
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/tty01
Modem hangup
Connection terminated
Exit.

Why does it just hangup?  My scripts work fine on my NetBSD/mac68k box.

Thanks in advance,

	-andy