Subject: Re: a bunch of macppc stuff
To: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/19/1999 19:46:08
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Dan Winship wrote:

>    Perhaps on the 1.5 CD (assuming there will be such a thing), we can
>    install a hacked ofwboot as /macppcboot or something, with the path
>    to the macppc install kernel hard-coded into it so that people
>    could just "boot cd:0,macppcboot". Of course, users would still
>    have to deal with getting into Open Firmware. It would be neat to
>    make the CD actually bootable without having to enter Open
>    Firmware, but that might require having an HFS partition, which
>    might not be possible. Anyone have any relevant clues?

You could do a modified version of what Gilbert did on the MkLinux DR3 CD,
specifically, use mkhybrid to create a disk that's both iso9660 and hfs
(shared file data, just with two sets of filesystem metadata pointing to
it).  I'm assuming, of course, that the distro CD is ISO and not ffs.

>    It might also be useful to get BootVariables working on newer
>    machines if there's anyone out there with the relevant MacOS
>    programming clue. (I don't remember where the source comes from,
>    but it's out there on the net somewhere.)

I suspect it's somewhere on linuxppc.org's server.  Not sure, though.

Later,
David