Subject: Re: More on B&W G3 and booting...
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Mark & Suzanne <gcs@s054.aone.net.au>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/30/1999 14:31:49
> On Thu, 27 May 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>> > I can reboot from the ethernet and mount /dev/wd0a and /dev/wd0g  as / and
>> > /usr so the labels ok from netbsd perspective. I've tried doing
>> > /usr/mdec/installboot  -v ofwboot bootxx /dev/rwd0a
>> Try
>> /usr/mdec/installboot -v bootxx /dev/rwd0a   - you showed one too many
>> files above.
>
> Never mind. Our verison seems to want one more parameter than the man page
> I looked at.
>
> But try first copying ofwboot to /boot, and then trying
>
> /usr/mdec/installboot -v /boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rwd0a
>                          ^^^^                   ^^^^
>                 the file ||||  needs to be on   |||| that device.
>
> So if you have /dev/wd0a at /mnt, use /mnt/boot. :-)

That made some difference to the installboot  it now reads out a series of
block numbers.

/mnt/usr/mdec/installboot -v /mnt/boot /mnt/usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rwd0a

This makes no difference to me at the boot prompt. I guess that I'm missing
the correct incantation of boot? And what is the significance those numbers
that installboot writes out?

    I've tried several different incantations of boot, has any one worked
out how to use the various forth word to query labels etc etc

    The other thought was that I have the firmware version installed as part
of MacOS X  remote boot for iMac - just thought I'd add this since I may
have tried the correct thing already and this was the problem ??

    If anyone has an iMac working please send me you boot string?

    mark :)