Subject: Re: status of NuBus support?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/24/1999 18:46:04
On Mon, 24 May 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> I don't think it's under active development, but it is something we'd like
> to add.
>
> Jason, do you feel up to doing some kernel hacking? There are folks which
> (myself included) which can give you advice/support, but we don't have any
> 7100's.

On a related note, if somebody's actively working on this, I'd be happy to
offer any advice if you get stuck on something.  I've done a number of
things to MkLinux's drivers recently (AMIC DMA support for the floppy
drive is one of the uglier ones in-progress...), so I'm acutely aware of
some of the more painful quirks with x100's....  Heheh....

I don't have a ready way of compiling BSD kernels (unless you count
osfmach3 ;-), though, so I'm of limited help there.  Also, I'm leaving on
the 30th for California (moving), so I'll be away from mail most of the
time up through about the 7th when I start work in... well, one of those
cities in the silicon valley area... Sunnyvale, I think.  But let me know
if you need anything.  Likewise, let me know if you try to support the
NuBus PowerBooks (1400, 2300, 5300).

One other question, is anyone out there particularly familiar with the
Quadras?  I'm trying to figure out interrupt handling for the PowerMac (or
Performa) 52/53/62/63xx series, which should be closely related to some
Quadra models (I have no idea which ones).  On the later PowerMacs,
there's a master interrupt control/flag register pair into which all of
the other interrupts are cascaded.  Is there anything similar in the
Quadras?  If not, is there anything in particular that needs to be done to
cause the IRQ line to go low or whatever after you've read the interrupts
from one of the interrupt flag registers?  Anybody?

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                         Visit globegate's internet
dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                  talker, Deep Space 36
http://globegate.utm.edu                telnet globegate.utm.edu:9624