Subject: Re: 1.4 on my B&W G3
To: William O Ferry <woferry@iname.com>
From: Dan Winship <danw@MIT.EDU>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/10/1999 11:03:12
> I'm not sure how or if I can point Open Firmware at this partition
> to boot without a bootp server, if anybody has any suggestions I'd
> love to hear it.

openfirmware is supposed to be able to read off a "raw partition", and
(I think) you're supposed to be able to run "installboot" on your
drive in some way such that booting from openfirmware will work. I
haven't gotten it to work, but I was having other problems anyway.

One thing you can do is put a copy of ofwboot.elf on your Mac OS
partition, and then do something like:

boot hd:N,ofwboot.elf hd:M

where N is the Mac OS partition number and M is the NetBSD partition
number.

And that should work, except...

If I boot off IDE, pciide fails, analagously to how SCSI fails if I
boot off that, or ethernet fails if I don't boot off it (or use the
patch Tsubai sent). In the IDE case, it probes fine, but trying to
read the disk gives:

netbsd: pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
netbsd:  type: ata
netbsd:  c_bcount: 512
netbsd:  c_skip: 0

every few seconds until I reboot it. (Although I've never seen what
happens if you let it go longer than a minute or two I guess.)

So keep netbooting for now.

> 	One problem my machine has is that if the root device is not
> specifically mentioned it will fail at the root device prompt.

Yup, I'm seeing that too.

> 	Also, my mouse has also stopped working with the newer
> kernels. With older kernels (I can try some to see what versions
> worked if anybody cares) NetBSD properly detected my keyboard and
> mouse (MacAlly iKey and Logitech M-BA47). Now if the mouse is
> plugged in to the keyboard it reports an error on boot,

I have the same keyboard, but a different mouse, and my mouse has
never worked when plugged into the keyboard. (My system is 300MHz, so
maybe this is all just race conditions like someone said.)

> However, if I roll the wheel, the X server immediately dies.

See PR 7476

-- Dan