Subject: Re: some observations on the peripheral market
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: J. David Blackstone <jxb9451@omega.uta.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/11/1999 17:25:41

> >BTW, is MESH
> >support working on NetBSD/macppc yet?  If so, I may play with it some.
> >:-)
>
> I will do it after iMac. :-)

  Is development actively proceeding on the iMac, then?  What is the
status?

  I will need to buy a new Mac this year.  I'm currently running on a
Mac LCIII, and my priority in a new machine purchase will be NetBSD.  Is
the iMac a good purchase to consider?  It seems highly attractive, but
if using NetBSD on the iMac is more complicated than it is on the 68k
machines, I don't think I want it.

  When I started using NetBSD on the LCIII, all I had to do was hack up
an Apple hard drive utility, reformat a disk, use special utilities to
make a filesystem and install software, and then use a special utility
to boot.  (Believe it or not, I consider that simple. :) ) I didn't
need to buy any new hardware, I didn't need to hook my computer up to
any other.  Is NetBSD support on the iMac going to reach this point?
If not, what machine would be a good machine to buy?

J. David Blackstone
jxb9451@omega.uta.edu
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1341