Subject: Re: Netbooting the iMac
To: John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>
From: Wesley Horner <wesman@azrael.uoregon.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/01/1998 08:28:11
I happen to have an 8500 and it will net boot as will any pci based mac
with built in ethernet.  I did it with linux ppc.  I can't seem to find
the instructions on how I did it (they are in the faq-o-matic i think) but
basically the boot device was somthing like net and the boot file was
root=/dev/nfs<machinename and directory> as I recall.  You need a bootp
server and a tftp server on the same subnet for it to work.  It was a bit
of trial and error.  Definately harder than making a sparc netboot.

wes

~~~~wesman@gladstone.uoregon.edu~~~~~~~~~~NeXTMail OK!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vax  a vicious creature known to eat 110AC and quotes through its
*DCL*.  Vax are usually found in groups of Vaxen called clusters where
they lay in wait to ravage thier prey known as users.