Subject: Re: Netbooting the iMac
To: None <wesman@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
From: Sebastian Lederer <sleder2s@ux-2s02.inf.fh-rhein-sieg.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/01/1998 16:46:16
Wesley Horner wrote:

> > PS: If somebody can think of another way to boot NetBSD on the iMac
> > (except soldering a floppy connector onto the mainboard), I'd also like
> > to hear it...
>
> The imac will boot kernels off of cd roms and off of the hard drive.  The

I have already tried that, it apparently did find the kernel, said something
about load size etc, then "Loading ELF" and the machine locked up solid (had
to use the reset switch in the I/O bay). I have also tried to use BootX from
the linuxppc camp, which also freezes the machine. I've even tried to burn a
boot floppy image onto a CD-ROM, but that didn't work either, even crashed
the finder when I inserted the CD under MacOS.

> problem is getting other OF settings.  It will always find the kernel.

What other OF settings would that be ? load address? boot-path etc. ?
Did you actually manage to boot NetBSD successfully?

Best regards,
Sebastian Lederer