Subject: problems with 8500 and 7200
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <mw34@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/05/1998 11:56:26
Well, the PowerMac 7200/90 starts to have problems really early.  I can't
get it to boot off the bootfloppy-980715.image

0 > boot fd:0
RESETing to change Configuration!
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00400

Open Firmware, 1.0.5
To continue booting the MacOS type:
BYE<return>
To continue booting from the default boot device type:
BOOT<return>
boot fd:0CLAIM failed
 ok
0 >

I realize it's not on the list of supported machines, but it *is* PCI and
has Open Firmware.  Is it because the 7200 has a 601?

I actually got my 8500/132 to boot off the floppy and install onto a hard
drive.
Very cool.

One thing I noticed was that when trying to run pppd (with hardware
handshaking enabled), I received a lot of the following message and
abyssmal performance:

Oct  4 09:52:35 tosh /netbsd: zstty1: 2 silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods
Oct  4 09:52:35 tosh /netbsd: zstty1: 2 silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods

Also, the serial console I was using (PB5300) seemed to sputter every few
minutes and hang for ~1/2 minute before continuing with what it was doing.
Perhaps the two are connected?

Lastly a question unrelated to NetBSD, but something y'all might know:
What Open Firmware device should I be using to enable the internal display
on the 7200 and 8500?  I tried /bandit/@D for the 7200 and it just beeped.
On the 8500, I tried /chaos/control, and it sent garbage to my monitor (I
have a fixed frequency 2-page display attached, and it does enable the
correct sense-lines), presumably at 640x480.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

  -- MW