Subject: Re: G3 - WORKS!!!
To: Tsubai Masanari <tsubai@iri.co.jp>
From: Bill Studenmund <skippy@macro.stanford.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/24/1998 10:21:35
On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Tsubai Masanari wrote:

> > The linuxppc boot floppy now comes up, and spews out a lot of
> >xcoff info, like tsize =, dsize = , bsize =, entry = 500000
> >etc.
> >DEFAULT CATCH! code @ FFF03000 %SRR0: asdfasdf %SRR1: blahblah
>
> >So their booter is having the SAME problem the NetBSD one is.
>
> I think the two problems are different.  The linuxppc booter can display
> some characters but yours can't.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I think all those characters are coming out of the xcoff loader, not the
linuxppc booter. Though I could be wrong.

But they both die with a DEFAULT CATCH code @ FFF03000 error (the %SRR0
and %SRR1 numbers differ). Or is that the address of the catcher, not the
code which caused the problem?

> >Now if we could: 1) make it not need this goofy incantation, and 2) know
> >how to use a hard disk. :-)
>
> About 2), Izumi Tsutsui is working on wd support.  His machine is UMAX,
> but the driver will work on G3, perhaps.

Wouldn't most of the pciide work transfer?

Also, I can configure a kernel with any pci device, can't I? I'm thinking
of getting a 10/100 MB Ethernet card, and I think NetBSD already supports
it. So would the G3 thus support it? I'm assuming so... :-)

Take care,

Bill