Port-mac68k archive

Re: Root Filesystem Size Rquirement for NetBSD 10?

On Fri, Jun 07, 2024 at 01:24:20PM -0400, David Riley wrote:
>    On Jun 6, 2024, at 11:29, Stan Johnson <userm57%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:

>      I started with 2.0.1a6 from Nigel Pearson. I compiled with MPW.
>
>      Sometime in-between my external SCSI disk where this all lived
>
>      died, so no full source set, but the file read_disk.c was the
>
>      only one with real changes (besides some ifdef mess for build
>
>      fixes).
>
>    I've looked for MPW (what version?) for years, but I've never found it.
>    But I'm a bad enough programmer in GCC that even fining MPW probably
>    wouldn't help. I do have Think C 4.0 (I think the last version was
>    5.0),
>    but that probably wouldn't work, either.
>
>    MPW shouldn't be too hard to find. Apple's old FTP site is long gone,
>    but last I checked, there were still quite a few reliable mirrors of it
>    hanging around. It's in the developer tools section. Here's one:

fwiw:

I never had MPW on the Mac back in the day, but I have had luck running
THINK C / Symantec C/C++ on both BasiliskII and qemu. My old media has gone
missing, but I found them both on macintoshrepository. I see there's MPW 3.x
available:

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/545-macintosh-programmer-s-workshop-mpw-3-x

BasiliskII is much faster and flexible for general use - the shared unix dirs
are great for transfers - but there's no MMU support, and the FPU is buggy.
Which reminds me, I should update the version in pkgsrc...

qemu is solid emulation wise, and will boot netbsd-mac68k nicely. I've
been using netatalk3 to transfer files locally.

The fact that BasiliskII and netatalk3 use different formats for file
forks is annoying, but it is possible to translate between the two.

--
Paul Ripke
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds