Port-mac68k archive

Re: Installation Error For Mac68k NetBSD on SE/30

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions! I appreciate the quick responses!

> The Booter SCSI code is old, and I have a hunch that it expects the
> root partition within the first GB of the disk. You may have to
> re-arrange your partitioning.

Hauke - that's a decent idea, thanks! I might try putting NetBSD on a
second disk (SCSI 1, or whatever) so that it has its own virtual HDD.

> The better way to do an installation these days is to download an install
> kernel (mac68k/installation/instkernel), boot that with Booter, then use
> sysinst to format your partitions and install NetBSD.

John - For that, do I just need to unpack netbsd-INSTALL.gz and place
that on the Unix partition? Or would the booter just work with the gz
directly from the HFS partition while Mac OS is running?

> I'm assuming the installation was done with the "modern" method and not
> with the "traditional" method, since the traditional method doesn't seem
> to work any more at all (it creates the wrong, older type, of ffs root
> filesystem).

Stan - I was following this guide:
http://users.erols.com/ewinkler/installguide/installguide.html

I'm not sure if that counts as "traditional" or "modern".

Thanks again all,
RJ