Port-mac68k archive

Re: Quadra 800 and X11 issues

Hi,

Sorry for the late response!

On 2022/03/07 23:51, Dana Eckel wrote:
Well, I managed to install the full NetBSD 9.2 on a standard Quadra 800 with 136MB of ram with no issues. Fairly simple install. However I am having trouble with X11. From what I read from the installer it should be as simple as entering in startx and I should be greeted to a glorious B/W X11 instance. However I am receiving errors like xauth: file /useraccount/.serverauth.714 does not exist, and at the very end it is unable to connect to xserver and connection refused. I have read that only the client is installed but not the xserver. another site said you can install a color server but the links for installing that are extremely old and broken, but I see videos where a LC III has color X11. but they never said how they did it. Is there any updated information how to get X11 running on this old beast? Thanks!

(1) You can use WSFB kernel, instead of GENERIC. Then, X server as well as
    wscons become colorful. Probably, we should switch to WSFB by default,
    before NetBSD 10 is released.

(2) Server crash is not related to xauth(1). Please put below lines into
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Keyboard0"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "Protocol"      "wskbd"
EndSection

    Note that this problem will be fixed in upcoming NetBSD 9.3; X server
    should work just fine without xorg.conf.

Thanks,
rin