Port-mac68k archive

Re: 6.1.4. won't run on a large drive

30 maj 2014 kl. 18:51 skrev Bjarne Bäckström
<bjarne.backstrom%hjomail.se@localhost>:

> Hi, thanks for replying!
>
> 30 maj 2014 kl. 18:04 skrev John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Ok, I found an 18GB Seagate Barracuda drive, and have tried to install
>>> 6.1.4. SBC on it, but it won’t boot, complaining ”bad UFS”. I’ve formatted
>>> the drive with a 2GB Mac partition, twice the RAM size for swap, and the
>>> rest for Root&User. The Mac OS has no complaints.
>>>
>>> Any hints?
>
> […]
>>

>> In both instances, though, I booted an install kernel and either used
>> sysinst or manually installed the sets fetched via FTP.
>>
>> How did you do your installation?
>
>   I have been using the ”sysinst” method with NETBSD_INSTALLSBC, pulling the
> sets via ftp. I had 6.1.4. running on a 1080MB drive, but it was too small
> for compiling the pkgsrc ”basic” tools. I noticed then, that the Installer
> (1.1.h) didn’t agree with the Booter (2.0.0) on the disk formatting, so I
> have not used it since then.
>
>   The complete message from the Booter is:
>
> 'Magic numbers do not match — Improper UFS partition.
> Could not open kernel ”netbsd”’

   For some reason, Net’ seems to hate this drive… Sysinst seemingly will
install everything without any complaints, but trying to boot will result in
the message above. Have tried various partition sizes and layouts with the same
result.

   So, in something that smelled very much like desperation, I decided to try
the Installer(s) (.g/.h) instead. Bah, they both crashed as soon as they saw
the drive…

   Mac OS (7.6.1) seems to be happy with the drive, though, so unless someone
has any more tip, I guess the drive will end up as a backup for my old Macs…
—
Regards,
/Bjarne.