Port-mac68k archive

Re: Using pkgsrc with low RAM

At 19:03 Uhr +0100 4.4.2013, James Stocks wrote:
>I'm trying to build lighttpd from pkgsrc on my Mac LC 475 which has 32MB
>RAM and 50MB swap.  I get as far as building pcre, where the build stops.
>From this log message:
>
>UVM: pid 29033 (cc1), uid 0 killed: out of swap
>
>I gather that I'm running out of available memory.  I read somewhere that
>putting CFLAGS+=-O0 in /etc/mk.conf would help, but it didn't have any
>effect (and I don't understand what it would do).

The assumption is that the optimizer uses a lot of memory. But you'd need
to replace the packages' default optimization level to see an effect.

>I realise that this probably isn't a mac68k specific problem, but I
>reasoned that many people on this list will have systems with small
>amounts of RAM and might be willing to offer advice.

First and best thing you could do is probably looking for a 64 MB SIMM (I
don't know if 72 pin SIMMs ever came in 128 MB a piece). Borrowing from an
old Volkswagen saying, memory is irreplaceable, except by more memory.

Second, you could grow your swap partition, or add a second disk with
another swap partition. But swap is slow, and at twice the RAM size, you
are looking at diminishing returns.

Let us know how it's going.

HTH,
hauke