Port-mac68k archive

Re: Where do the mac68k packages on ftp.netbsd.org come from?

On 27.03.2013 17:51, David Riley wrote:

> Given how long my Power Mac 9500/180 takes to just "make clean" on
> pkgsrc (more than 24 hours),

Maybe try this in /etc/mk.conf:

WRKOBJDIR=      /usr/pkgsrc_tmp

Then, when you want to get rid of it, just use rm.

I also have my own scripts for make fetch, make fetch-list and make
checksum. These targets are incredibly slow too. I guess slowness is
the price you have to pay for portability ;).

> Disk access time may be a big factor in that, though, in which case
> a nice fast NFS server might actually improve things quite a bit.

That's what i am thinking. But i have to make measurements. Maybe a
local disk is still faster? It is for sure for continuous file
transfers. But for random access of small files a SSD-backed fast NFS
server could be faster.

> That said, one of my pet "back burner" projects is to make a cheap
> rackmount case for LC motherboards (all the "pizza-box" style ones
> have the same basic outline, so it should work for all of them),
> since they make OK DNS/mail servers.

Well, i think it might be a waste of energy.

I use two Thinkpad X61 laptops at home for servers. They run Debian
and everything else i can wish for in KVM. C2D with 2x1.8GHz and 4 GB
Ram. Gigabit ethernet and builtin UPS, 64bit, Intel-VT. 14 watts idle.
And really, really cheap. Nearly for free if you can get one with a
broken screen or cracked case.

> If anyone knows a good way to do that, let me know (Protocase is
> nice for a lot of projects, but sadly not this one because it's not
> super-cheap and doesn't do bends the way I'd need).

Don't waste time on fancy casings. I would just use a wood frame to
get a prototype running. If it runs, one can think about making it pretty.

MFG,

Karsten Kruse

- --
  ()
 <\/>   "Not allowing the wealthy to hunt man for sport
 _/\_   removes all motivation to succeed."