Subject: Re: port-mac68k/37474: After installing a system, booting into it, and mounting /, I get a message saying that the magic numbers don't match upon reboot.
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@clank.org>
From: Thomas Carlson <tcarlson@myback40.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/2007 16:55:04
On Dec 7, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2007, at 7:00 AM, Thomas Carlson wrote:
>
>> On Dec 6, 2007, at 8:20 PM, Scott Reynolds wrote:
>>
>>> You may find that removing the Cabletron box will help boot with the
>>> GENERIC kernel. It shouldn't matter but the SCSI drivers were written
>>> using rather incomplete documentation for the custom SCSI controller
>>> chips used in the various systems.
>>
>> That would be counterproductive as the se0 device is the only
>> connection to my network on this old machine (Powerbook 180).
>
> This may be true; but, I'm a little surprised the Cabletron device
> works under NetBSD (I'm assuming you're saying that it does, of
> course). Cabletron is known for modifying the operation of otherwise
> standard hardware so that you're forced to use their proprietary
> drivers.

I have been trying to get my Cabletron EA414 SCSI/ethernet device to
work for years.  Refer to the following:

http://osdir.com/ml/netbsd.ports.mac68k/2006-11/msg00000.html

Thanks to Ian W. Dall, who updated the driver to this device in 2006, I
think I might just have a chance.  Problem is, I couldn't get a NetBSD
3.x or 4.x kernel (NetBSD 1.5 runs fine) to boot on my Powerbook 180
for various reasons, until NetBSD 4.0 R5.  Got my hopes up... but,
"magic numbers don't match."

Cheers, Tom