Subject: Re: bypassing slow Quadra SCSI
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/2007 10:48:43
On Aug 30, 2007, at 10:35 AM, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:

> David Brownlee wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
>>> Maybe keeping a single copy of pkgsrc for all my machines to
>>> build from makes some sense, then.  (I have a mostly-unused 9 GB
>>> drive in a mostly-unused SGI box; having a reason to keep it
>>> turned on would be great.)  I'll have to look into how to keep
>>> output files organized when doing that, though.  I assume the
>>> framework supports this somehow - work/<platform> subdirs maybe?
>> in your /etc/mk.conf set:
>>     WRKOBJDIR?=/var/obj/pkg
>> (or wherever)
>
> After seeing some of the other recent posts and reading some
> archives of the pkgsrc list, setting this to a tmpfs /tmp/work
> might be a big help.  With sources on a NFS mount and object files
> in memory, my Q840 might finally be unleashed.  :)
>
> If I understand this correctly, though, nothing on a tmpfs ever
> gets written to disk...so I need to do a "make install" (or
> package) before power goes off or I'll end up losing everything.
> Right?

Right.  You'll theoretically lose everything in /tmp regardless of
that, given that the startup process clears its contents unless you
have disabled that.

(Note that tmpfs may sometimes write stuff to disk if there is not
enough free memory to hold its contents.  But those writes will go to
the swap space, meaning that they are "unrecoverable".)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>