Subject: Re: bypassing slow Quadra SCSI
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/30/2007 09:53:23
On Aug 30, 2007, at 1:57 AM, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Aug 29, 2007, at 19:18, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
>
>> David Brownlee wrote:
>>>     Its certainly worth benchmarking. If you have a chunk of memory
>>>     in the box you might also want to try a tmpfs
>>
>> I know nothing about tmpfs.  I have 128 MiB, and don't think I
>> come close to ever using it all.  Is this difficult to do?  Where
>> do I start reading?
>
> man tmpfs :p
>
> then add something like this to your /etc/fstab:
>
> tmpfs	/tmp	tmpfs	rw
>
> which will allow tmpfs to use all free memory so free space on /tmp
> will vary over time, depending on what you do. There's an option to
> limit the size of a tmpfs too. Oh, and you may want to link /var/
> tmp to somewhere in /tmp.

Or you can mount two instances of tmpfs, one in /tmp and another in /
var/tmp :-)  They'll properly share the free memory.

Also see the examples in /usr/share/examples/fstab/* (or something
like that).

FWIW, I enabled tmpfs in GENERIC a couple of days ago or so.  (I now
have to ensure that it works fine by running the test-suite, but PR
36848 prevents me doing that!)

Kind regards,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>