Subject: Re: favorite wm for the low end
To: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Riccardo Mottola <zuse@libero.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/03/2007 08:39:32
Hi,

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:55:58 +0200, Tim & Alethea Larson
<thelarsons3@cox.net> wrote:

>  The X window manager manages windows (including window decoration); it
> has
> no hand in where&how an application draws its menus. You'd have to look
> (and hack) into each and every X toolkit for that.
>  The situation is similar with Java where the application has to
> cooperate
> to give you a global menu bar.
>  The more I think about it the more I agree that you're right.
> Developing a standard API for apps to communicate with wms for shared
> menuing might not be so hard, but getting all the toolkits to build it
> in so that it can be offered as an option, then rebuilding all the apps
> to use it...that would be a big job.

If you really insist in having a mac-like menubar, the GNUstep framework
and applications are now capable of this. Normally they have of course the
excellent NeXt style menus, but since as you say there is a common way to
describe menus, mac-style was a possibility and there is now an option and
accessory to do that (WildMenus ?).

I didn't verify lately if GNUstep runs on 68k though since my IIci is in
an unusable state (the kernel continues to give read errors, just
untarring the distribution or transferring it over the net is
problematic). I didn't try again in months though and so 3.1 might be
better. Since my macppc is in a bad state too (X11... but that wasn't
working on 68k either)....

Riccardo