Subject: Re: XDM setup, revisited
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Tim & Alethea Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/2007 19:56:13
Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 14:33 Uhr -0500 22.2.2007, <thelarsons3@cox.net> wrote:
>> It simply doesn't use /etc/X11/Xresources at all.
>
> No, it doesn't:
>
> [hauke@fattie] /<1>X11/xdm > fgrep -i xresources xdm-config
> DisplayManager*resources:       /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources
> [hauke@fattie] /<1>X11/xdm >
>
> -- xdm(1) has its own Xresources file, different from the global one.
>
>>  No, it's not using
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources either.
>
> What does your /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config say?

You're right...somehow I managed to put the xdm Xresources in the wrong
place.  BUT xdm-config was pointed to it, so it still should have worked
- in theory.

Anyway, I moved the file to /etc/X11/xdm and changed the xdm-config
reference, so I'd have a "standard" setup again.  Upon rebooting, I
could no longer log in at all.  After entering the user/pass I'd drop
right back to the xdm screen.  There must be something else that I
changed a reference in because of the wrong file location, that I need
to change back now.

> Well, cpp has no business calling cc1 whatsoever, since it's onla y
> preprocessor. I'd expect cc1 is called from cc which is only a wrapper. You
> could change the first line of /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession to

Hopefully I can ignore it then...

> #!/bin/sh -X
>
> to get a script execution trace.

I'll have to give this a try.  Does it dump a file somewhere?

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org