Subject: Re: XDM setup, revisited
To: None <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/07/2007 23:12:49
At 14:33 Uhr -0500 22.2.2007, <thelarsons3@cox.net> wrote:
>Once again, after several months away from the problem, I am trying to
>customize my XDM login based on Hauke's documentation.  For the life of
>me, I cannot get it to work!
>
>I have all files in the right places.  I have permissions right.  The only
>changes I've made are for details like color and font sizes.  (Hauke's
>Q700 has a much bigger screen than my Color Classic.)  Those shouldn't
>matter.
>
>It simply doesn't use /etc/X11/Xresources at all.

No, it doesn't:

[hauke@fattie] /<1>X11/xdm > fgrep -i xresources xdm-config
DisplayManager*resources:       /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources
[hauke@fattie] /<1>X11/xdm >

-- xdm(1) has its own Xresources file, different from the global one.

>  No, it's not using
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources either.

What does your /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config say?

At 17:00 Uhr -0500 6.3.2007, <thelarsons3@cox.net> wrote:
>Hauke's document states that Xresources is processed by cpp.  I noticed an
>error from cpp in my xsession-errors file, about "cannot exec 'cc1'".  I
>have cc1 in /usr/libexec, but maybe it's not being found?  This would
>explain why everything seems to be working except for ignoring Xresources.

Well, cpp has no business calling cc1 whatsoever, since it's onla y
preprocessor. I'd expect cc1 is called from cc which is only a wrapper. You
could change the first line of /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession to

#!/bin/sh -X

to get a script execution trace.

	hauke