Subject: Re: SE/30 as a network router?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/07/2007 19:59:53
Hello,

First I'm sorry because I don't express myself correctly. I was
thinking wrong about what I really want to do.

I will be more precise now:

First I want to give a job to do to my SE/30 and I think that a SE/30
as a gateway or NAT is a good start to my home network. I have
already Apache ready for future use too.

I think that I can connect 2 NICs on my SE/30 ataching a Farallon in
a Asante passthrough slot. Maybe I get no space inside SE/30 but then
I will remove the external case.

I will test in NetBSD to see if both are recognised correctly and
then I will configure it as a NAT server.

Could you give me your oppinion about this?

Yours,

	Nuno Teixeira

On 2007/02/06, at 04:14, der Mouse wrote:

>> I'd like to know if it is possible to make a SE/30 work as a internet
>> router. I've read about NAT but it says that we need two NICs and SE/
>> 30 only have one.
>
> This is mostly true, I'm afraid.  (There are some exceptions - such as
> the case where you have an 802.1q-capable switch and NIC, where you
> can
> set it up as a trunk line and route between vlan interfaces - but if
> you know enough to set that up and make it work right you wouldn't
> need
> to ask this.)
>
> It *is* possible to have a single-interface machine route between
> different subnets running in the same broadcast domain ("on the same
> cable", except that these days Ethernet isn't a bus technology any
> longer, so the term is inaccurate).  This still inflicts most of the
> problems of not routing, so it's of questionable value.  (It may be a
> right answer for you, depending on why you want to route.)
>
>> I have a cable connection and I have a switch/hub.  Currently I have
>> a PM G4 (MacOSX) sharing my connection with only one NIC so I think
>> it is possible to do it on a SE/30, I'm I right?
>
> I'm not clear what you're trying to end up with - that is, what
> problem
> you think turning your SE/30 into a router would solve.  Most of the
> scenarios I can imagine end up with your box being not just a router
> but also a NAT system (or an application-level proxy, in which case
> it's not really a router in the usual sense of the term).
>
> I can't see any reason, except possibly performance, why your SE/30
> would be unable to handle what your G4 can...but that's speaking
> conceptually; whether the software can do it out of the box is a
> completely different question.
>
> /~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML	       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
> / \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Nuno Teixeira