Subject: tty0{0,1} vs. ttyZ{0,1}
To: NetBSD Mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Mark E. Perkins <perkinsm@bway.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/13/2007 17:40:25
Late last night I upgraded a Q605 from 1.6something to 3.1.  I've been running
this machine headless w/ serial console for a long time, so I decided to do
the upgrade via serial console (I needed to re-partition the disk, so
upgrading in place was not an option).  I booted the 3.1 install kernel and
the install proceeded with no problems.... until I rebooted.  I neglected to
take into account that I needed to drop into a shell and enable the proper
serial port in /etc/ttys.

I attached a monitor and keyboard, booted to "real" console, enabled tty00,
and rebooted, only to find that root could not login on the serial console
(and I had not yet created a normal user).  I also noticed that the log
messages about failed logins mentioned ttyZ0, not tty00.  Back to the real
console, reboot, change /etc/ttys to have ttyZ0, and then root could log in on
the serial console.

This morning, I found a thread related to this problem that starts here:

	<http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2006/05/04/0000.html>

In the last message of that thread, Hauke Fath mentioned possibly filing a PR
on this.  Browsing CVS, I see that /etc/ttys in the 4.0 tree still does not
have ttyZ{0,1}.  Was a PR ever filed on this (I can't find one)?  If not, I
will file one (unless a developer is reading this and just wants to fix it, as
has already been done for port-macppc).

Cheers,
Mark