Subject: Re: NetBSD-4 softfloat (was: Apache on Mac68k)
To: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Bruce O'Neel <edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/2006 16:12:22
Hi,

When running with build.sh I didn't have a mk.conf, rather,
I just set MKSOFTFLOAT=YES in the environment first.

Therefore I don't know.  OTOH, this is the first crash is
the -Werror flag which is normally a good idea.
On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 04:58:55PM +0900, Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to build.sh release for FPU-less 68k Macs
> on cross-compiling, and I think it has got a "success".
>
> base machine: NetBSD/i386(4.99.6)
> source: -current (4.99.6)
>
> Case-1: /etc/mk.conf
>         MKSOFTFLOAT=yes
>         COPTS+=-msoft-float
>
> It got "Error Stop" both on i386 and Quadra800(4.99.4) at;
>
> >#  compile GENERIC/bus_space.o
> >[..]
> >cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> >/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/mac68k/bus_space.c: In function
> >'mac68k_bsr2_gen':
> >/usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/mac68k/bus_space.c:418: warning: statement
> >with no effect
>
> I'm sure this -current source sets has no problem for normal
> compiling. I have no idea to avoid this Error Stop.
>

> Case-2: /etc/mk.conf
>         MKSOFTFLOAT=yes
>
> Without "COPTS+=-msoft-float", it has completed build.sh release
> including -x.

Which, unless the makefiles have changed alot, the -msoft-float
flag should have been passsed to the c compiler.

> Then I installed those binary sets to LC III and External HDD
> for LC475 and PB520.
> NO error is found from the installation to the starting xdm.
> (LC III gets panic at reboot, it's same as "with-FPU" machine.
> And I don't know how to run ColorX on SOFTFLOAT.)
>
> No more than 10 hours operation on LC475, it seems to work
> "perfect".  NetBSD is great! Many thanks to the people who
> are developing NetBSD.
>

> I'm wondering why does "COPTS+=-msoft-float" spit "Error Stop"?
>
> >gcc-4.1.1                2006-05-06                GCC(1)
> >
> >M680x0 Options
> >
> >-msoft-float
> >Generate output containing library calls for floating point.
> >Warning: the requisite libraries are not available for all m68k
> >targets.  Normally the facilities of the machine's usual C compiler
> >are used, but this can't be done directly in cross-compilation.
> >You must make your own arrangements to provide suitable library
> >functions for cross-compilation.  The embedded targets m68k-*-aout
> >and m68k-*-coff do provide software floating point support.
> To my regret, I don't understand this well. I have to learn more,
> especially in English? ;)
>

> New(?) xdm is running on LC475 now. It is very nice.
>
> On 2006/12/09, at 0:00, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
> >
> >I've very partial to tvtwm.  Set with no window borders and
> >almost no color.  I find it very relaxing and quick to work
> >with.  Others in my office seem to hate it.  Works with
> >m68k systems on up.
> >
> >My .tvtwmrc file is:
> I copied it. Thanks a lot!
> >I find it very relaxing and quick to work with.
> I can guess so.
> >Others in my office seem to hate it.
> :)
>

> I have one more question.
> Is it required "MKSOFTFLOAT=yes" or anything for making packages?
> I forgot to set it before starting make, but it seems OK.
>
> Thanks,
> Kazu Inanaga

For building packages you need to have -msoft-float passed to the
C compiler.  Otherwise if the package does FP calculations it
will use the FP instructions and things won't work right.

cheers

bruce

--
edoneel@sdf.lonestar.org