Subject: Re: Nubus video cards
To: Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
From: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/2006 01:18:36
Hi,

Just before I got a headache with MacsBug,

On 2006/12/13, at 1:18, Robert Swindells wrote:
> Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:
>
>> Main chip is "smsc FEAST(TM) FD LAN91C100FDQFP B9904-B467AIC
>> 6H111735-6".
>>

> Ok, this is supported by the sm(4) driver. The NuBus attachment stub
> for it is in sys/arch/mac68k/nubus/if_sm_nubus.c.
>

>> How can I look at the driver?  With "MacsBug" like Video ?
>> "Delving for Video Interrupt Information"
>> http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/video.html
>>

> You only need to follow the "Identifying your card" section on that =20=

> page.

"Identifying your card"
 >we only need to know how to identify your card to BSD.

Oh, I see. Thanks! Robert-san. :)   I remember a FAQ;

"NetBSD/mac68k Frequently Asked Questions with Answers/
7. Porting and Programming"
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/faq-7.html

> 7.9 Are there any Mac OS utilities for investigating hardware
> so I can begin implementing support for it?

> Yes. Apple has quite a few useful utilities located at:
> ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Devices_-_Hardware/
> There are at least three useful subfolders in this directory:
> =95Apple_Desktop_Bus - utilities to work with ADB
> =95NuBus_Slot_Manager - contains the Slots utility
> =95Display_&_Video_Hardware - utilities for investigating video =
hardware

I got "Slots.sit.hqx" from "NuBus_Slot_Manager" directory.

It is unbelievably easy, with just double click "Slots", I get;
sResources
Directory:
81  --------->  01  --------> 0004 0001 00FF FFD4

What we need is this?

I posted above before I received kind suggestions from Michael-san,
but my post was not delivered.

On 2006/12/13, at 22:25, Michael R. Zucca wrote:

> There's a program called "Slots" around somewhere that will
> give you some nice information about the card and there may be
> a hint in some of that information about where the ethernet chip
> lives in the card's address space.

Thanks! As I wrote above, I got "Slots".

> However, look at the driver. There may be some nice some easy
> to find value like the MAC address for your card (or at least
> the vendor part of the MAC address encoded in hex (try both
> big and little endian) or some other easily identifyable info.

0004 0001 00FF FFD4    Need more?
(MAC address is printed as 0000C54B11F4 on this card.
Honestly, I almost don't understand what I'm doing..)

> Then use MacsBug to search the card's address space.

Ouch!

> If you get a match, use the driver's offsets and look at
> the values around the matched address to see if it matches
> the way the chip should look. If so, you should be able to
> determine the chip's base address.
>
> Good luck!

I think I should get a "MacsBug guidebook" written in Japanese.:)

Thanks a lot,
Kazu Inanaga