Subject: Booting headless (was Re: noncontingous DMA segments with mc0 at obio)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.org>
From: None <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2006 11:43:50
On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 01:27:03AM -0600, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
> I am sorry if I was unclear - I was not trying to imply the problem was
> with video.  My troubleshooting had been very rudimentary thus far.  All

Right, I understand... but what I meant was that the presence or absence
of video was unlikely to affect whether the ethernet driver could allocate
its memory or not. If you didn't see the "receive DMA buffer not
contiguous!" message when booting with a monitor, the problem you're
having when booting without a monitor is probably unrelated to the
ethernet.

> I had time to do was pull it out of my rack (detaching from network) so
> that I could connect a monitor.  My assumption was that I had an
> intermittent booting problem.  However, it always "worked fine" with a
> monitor, but I could not telnet/ssh in when it went back on the shelf.
> This is consistent with the mc0 problem mentioned.  I never tested
> network connectivity when I had a monitor attached.

Hmm, how do you know it worked fine with a monitor attached if you didn't
test network connectivity? And how do you know that only the network is
the only thing that's the problem when booting without a monitor? Maybe
it's crashed and waiting at the debugger prompt or something... I'm just
saying that at least from what I've heard so far, I don't think you're
seeing this mc0 problem. And as I mentioned, the mc0 problem seems to
have happened post-3.x, i.e., NetBSD 3.1 doesn't have this problem.

Anyways, when you get a chance, see if you can try serial
console... getting some more facts about what's happening will be more
useful than speculating about the cause :)
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 31 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++