Subject: Re: Re: Nubus video cards
To: Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mzucca@verizon.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/13/2006 07:25:14
>From: Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
>Date: 2006/12/12 Tue AM 10:18:24 CST
>To: happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp
>Cc: port-mac68k@NetBSD.org
>Subject: Re: Nubus video cards

>Kazuyuki Inanaga wrote:

>>> Look at the ethernet chip. It may be a standard chip that already =20
>>> has a driver. If you look at the existing driver there might be an =20
>>> interesting value you can look for in the card's address space. =20
>>> Once you know the base address in the card's address space it may =20
>>> not be too hard to port the driver.
>>>

>>Thanks for your advice!
>
>>>Look at the ethernet chip. It may be a standard chip that already =20
>>>has a driver.
>
>>Main chip is "smsc FEAST(TM) FD LAN91C100FDQFP B9904-B467AIC =20
>>6H111735-6".
>
>Ok, this is supported by the sm(4) driver. The NuBus attachment stub
>for it is in sys/arch/mac68k/nubus/if_sm_nubus.c.

That's handy :) I would have thought it was a newer chip that we didn't hav=
e a port for yet. Having code already in there makes life much easier.

>>How can I look at the driver?  With "MacsBug" like Video ?
>>"Delving for Video Interrupt Information"
>>http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/video.html
>
>You only need to follow the "Identifying your card" section on that page.
>
>The difference between the two cards already supported by the NuBus sm(4)
>driver is the offset of the EEPROM containing the Ethernet MAC address.
>
>You could have a look for it using MacsBug.

It's been a while, but each of the NuBus slots, I think uses a particular a=
ddress range. Like the first slot is everything in 0xC0000000-0xCFFFFFFF th=
e second slot is 0xD, etc. I'm rusty, so you'll have to forgive me if I hav=
e the values wrong. This should help you look for the information. I believ=
e the way they did the NuBus ROMs on macs was that the ROM information live=
d at the high end of the card's address space and worked its way back to th=
e low address space. The device could live anywhere else. There's a program=
 called "Slots" around somewhere that will give you some nice information a=
bout the card and there may be a hint in some of that information about whe=
re the ethernet chip lives in the card's address space. However, look at th=
e driver. There may be some nice some easy to find value like the MAC addre=
ss for your card (or at least the vendor part of the MAC address encoded in=
 hex (try both big and little endian) or some other easily identifyable inf=
o. Then use MacsBug to search the card's address space. If you get a match,=
 use the driver's offsets and look at the values around the matched address=
 to see if it matches the way the chip should look. If so, you should be ab=
le to determine the chip's base address.

Good luck!