Subject: Re: a few newbie mac hardware questions
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/2006 20:00:19
At 13:26 Uhr +0100 10.12.2006, Martin Husemann wrote:
>Please excuse if this are stupid questions,

The answers are probably in the list archive, but that does not make the
questions stupid.  ;)

>I did not expect this Q660 to be a blinding fast machine, but I
>am a bit disapointed with the SCSI performance:
>
>esp0 at obio0 addr 0: address 0x22a000: NCR53C96, 25MHz, SCSI ID 7
>scsibus0 at esp0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
>[..]
>sd1 at scsibus0 target 4 lun 0: <IBM, DNES-309170W, SA30> disk fixed
>sd1: 8748 MB, 11474 cyl, 5 head, 312 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 17916240 sectors
>sd1: async, 8-bit transfers, tagged queueing
>
>Is the 8-bit transfers a limitation of this esp variant, or the disk?

You mean the async transfer mode? The 8-bit transfers are a hardware
limitation, obviously.

Michael R. Zucca worked on Quadra {660,840}AV SCSI DMA support for some
time, and send-pr'ed the resulting code a few years back. Unfortunately,
nobody knowledgable picked them up since. From what I've read, running the
{660,840}AV SCSI cpu-driven is rather slower than the other Quadras.

Apart from that, since AFAIK all the 68k Macs implement standard 5 MHz SCSI
onboard, I am not sure sync mode can buy you much without DMA support.

>intvid0 at obio0 @ 50100800: CIVIC video subsystem
>intvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
>macfb0 at intvid0
>
>The display is pretty colorfull in MacOS - is the "monochrome" here
>intentional
>(maybe for performance reasons)?

You can tell the Booter to switch to a different resolution/colour depth
before booting, since we have no way of switching resolution/colour from
within NetBSD.

The NetBSD/mac68k X server is monochrome. There is an inofficial X server
that can handle colour (8 bit greyscale recommended; I've never tried
{hi,true} colour. Why this code, which exists since 1998 at least, was
never folded into the tree, I don't know.

>Also there is no sign of sound in the dmesg (obviously nothing critical) -
>I suspect there are no docs available?

There is a patch for better sound support on Quadras in Gnats, but I don't
know if it applies to AV quadras. ISTR it is in suspended mode, since Scott
didn't like it.

>Ok, that's all for now - I'm painfully building the few essential pkgs I
>need now ;-)

I feel your pain.  ;)

	hauke