Subject: Re: Apache on Mac68k
To: None <deserved@cogeco.ca>
From: Kazuyuki Inanaga <happyday@pp.iij4u.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/04/2006 01:01:09
Hi,

On 2006/12/03, at 17:11, De Served wrote:

> Barring that, has anyone had any luck installing NetBSD 3.1 on an
> LC III
> with no FPU?   All of my attempts have failed at the disk partition
> and
> format stage.

Well, to install NetBSD-3.1 on LC III (no FPU) is not impossible,
but ...

My tricky installation procedure;

1) Formatting HDD and making partitions with "HD SC Setup" on MacOS.
2) Use 1.6.2 INSTALLSBC(FPE) first, install "1.6.2 etc.tgz" only*.
3) Within the main menu "NetBSD-3.1 Install System",
       select b: Upgrade NetBSD on a hard disk
       then, follow the Sysinst.
4) At the moment of ftp or tar, Sysinst does many strange behavior,
    and put some error messages, just ignore them and go next step.
5) it takes many minutes in "postinstall", especially at "obsolete fix:"
    Sysinst seems be freezed. (25MHz / 20MB Ram)
    (Have a glass of wine or take a hot tub.)
    Finally Sysinst completes its task.

NOTE*:
If edit /etc/fstab with cat in e: Utility menu, and like to make network
related files in /etc later by hand, to install etc.tgz is not
neccessary.
Just do #newfs and #cat > fstab in Utility menu.
In any case, I had to wait long in "postinstall".

> I really want to get Apache up and running on this LC III under a
> stable
> NetBSD environment.

My LC III + 3.1 hasn't been well tested, but it's hard to say "stable".

It spits out;
 > awk in malloc(): error* brk(2) faild [internal error]
 > [1]   Abort trap (core dumped) awk "/^sendmail[...
in the bootup sequence. "FIFO overrun" in FTP retrieve,
Segmentation fault (core dumped) at "top" and so ...

The best solution is, of course, to get MC68882.

Good luck!
Kazu Inanaga