Subject: Re: Apache on Mac68k
To: De Served <deserved@cogeco.ca>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/2006 09:50:45
Hello,

> Has anyone had any success building Apache in NetBSD 1.6.2?   I have an
> old LC III that I have installed NetBSD 1.6.2 SoftFloat on, and I'm
> running into some dificulty getting Perl 5 to build -- Perl is required
> for Apache.

I used to run a few 1.6 servers on m68k Macs and Amigas back in the day
with Apache, PHP, MySQL, and so forth. However, pkgsrc is moving past 1.6,
so it's not as easy as it used to be - not everything works out of the
box.

> Barring that, has anyone had any luck installing NetBSD 3.1 on an LC III
> with no FPU?  All of my attempts have failed at the disk partition and
> format stage.  Has anyone compiled a 3.1 SoftFloat distribution yet?

You could try these:

ftp://ftp.ziaspace.com/pub/NetBSD/m68k/NetBSD-3.0-mac68ksoftfloat/

They're from a year ago, but it might prove a good starting point. I
believe that everything is committed so that you can also build softfloat
from source.

> I really want to get Apache up and running on this LC III under a stable
> NetBSD environment.   That precludes 2.X release of NetBSD for the 68k
> Macs unfortunately.

Yes, NetBSD-2 was pretty much a wash for m68k machines. NetBSD-4 was just
branched, and seems completely stable now on my Quadras. I'll try to build
a softfloat NetBSD-4 release...

John