Subject: Re: TT font question
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/10/2006 20:41:32
--aFi3jz1oiPowsTUB

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 07:37:40PM -0500, Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:
> gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> >But... you may be out of luck on getting mac68k binary packages from
> >ftp[n.CC].netbsd.org for these particular packages; I don't see them
> >even in the 1.6.2 section.
> Yeah, I've looked all around and couldn't find xfstt, which it appears=20
> is the one I'm really needing.  The OSFA X server we have is much too=20
> old to have TT support built in like is done nowadays.

Have you no more modern/faster processor hardware you can use even
temporarily to cross-build some mac68k packages as you need them?
I mean, even one of those $300 PCs from Walmart would chew through
this pretty quickly... and with a bit of effort you could do the
entire build environment on a bootable CD.

Waiting for GCC on a mac68k, never mind having disks of a relevant
speed and size just seems... painful to me, though the computer
itself is absolutely still reasonable for other applications that
need less I/O or processor most of the time.

Actually... what's the Application here? I can't imagine that using
X can be all that... fun of a process on a mac68k, relative to
fairly inexpensively-available more recent hardware.

I'm all for making good use of hardware, and mac68k systems are
certainly only wrongly considered junk, but... I'm not sure doing
anything GUI is their place.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net