Subject: Re: Quadra 700 Colour?
To: Andy Ball <andy.ball@earthlink.net>
From: None <nate@portents.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/2006 20:14:12

> Hello Tim,
>
>    TL> I'm running 16-bit X now on a Mystic CC.  The A/UX
>      > FAQ, backed up by LowEndMac, indicates that Q700
>      > internal video is capable of 24-bit video (provided
>      > the VRAM of course).  So I don't see why it wouldn't
>      > work.
>
> I had read that the hardware supported colour, but wasn't
> sure if NetBSD's X server did (the mac68k part of the NetBSD
> Web site seem sort of stale, talking about 1.5.2 in the
> future tense).  Thanks for the help.  Now to find a USB->ADB
> mouse adapter! :-)

A couple of things.  The Quadra 700 can't do 16-bit, only 8-bit or 24-bit,
and AFAIK there isn't support for 24-bit color X in NetBSD (at least the
last time I tried).  You can do 8-bit greyscale, but not 8-bit color
because I don't think they ever got color lookup tables working right.

Also, I don't think anyone has ever made a way to hook up any USB
peripherals to ADB.  Vice-versa, yes - you can get adapters to plug ADB
keyboards and mice into computers with USB, but not the other way around.

- Nate