Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD 2.1 on Quadra 950
To: Gheorghe Ardelean <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/2006 20:40:39
At 0:03 Uhr +0200 4.5.2006, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:
>After that I have rebooted in single user mode and found out that in
>my case (Quadra 950) the proper device is ttyZ0 (corresponds to the
>zstty detected on QUADRA at boot time -- see /dev/MAKEDEV).
>
>So I added the following line in /etc/ttys:
>
># Define the console that we actually run getty on.
>ttyZ0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         vt220   on secure
>
>and rebooted. This time I've got the login prompt on the serial console.

Funny you should mention that, since I ran into the same thing while
installing -current on a Quadra 650 yesterday. Actually it was even
weirder, because I had

tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"         vt100   on secure

in /etc/ttys and could log in on serial console as vanilla user, but not as
root, in spite of the 'secure'.

Could somebody please point me to the motivation of changing the built-in
serial ports from tty0{0,1} to ttyZ{0,1}? Why are these new devices not
used in /etc/ttys? Why is there a surplus of tty devices in /etc/ttys,
anyway, which have never been and will never be used?

	hauke