Subject: Re: 2.0.2 update oddities
To: Timothy Larson <thelarsons3@cox.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/26/2005 20:51:33
At 19:44 Uhr -0500 25.4.2005, Timothy Larson wrote:
>Second, etcupdate creates the directories (from etc.tgz)

Erm - to the best of my knowledge, the netbsd-2 etcupdate(8) does not deal
with etc.tgz directly.

>under /
>instead of under /etc - is that correct?  Equivalent directories
>already exist in /etc so I figured that's where the new stuff ought to
>be going.

You have to extract etc.tgz to some safe place (e.g. mkdir /tmp/newetc ; cd
/tmp/newetc ; pax -pe -zrf /path/to/etc.tgz) and then point etcupdate(8) to
the files you just unpacked:

	etcupdate -a -l -v -b /tmp/newetc

and off you go.

Properly applied, the etcupdate and postinstall combo is the best thing
since sliced bread.

HTH,
	hauke

--